Sunday, October 23, 2011

Crows

Recently I watched the a PBS feature on the intelligence of crows called A murder of crows. You can watch it online if you are interested.  Crows are evidently very intelligent.  The most intelligent crows not only use tools, but can use tools to retrieve tools to retrieve food.  They are very social creatures and who observe rituals such as types of funerals.  I was excited to watch this special because it featured Chatham Ontario Canada, the city of my birth.  It is the Mecca for crows.  With all the crows flying over head and sitting row after row on the telephone lines, Chatham can feel a bit ominous despite the warmth of friends and family.
This TV special got me thinking a lot about the different intelligence of species.  If crows are rated to be some of the most intelligent species because they can use tools to get tools to get food, how intelligent are greyhounds by comparison.  Are they not in fact more evolved than us all?  After all, with a sideways look they can make their opposable thumb two leggers hop to get them food, treats, pick up their poop and take them to visit friends.
Ricky Bobby

Kassa

Tequila Lee

The gang

Ricky discovers Frisbee

Beth Anne

Hope you all had a great weekend!

4 comments:

Hiking Hounds said...

I love crows! They are so funny. I swear they taunt the dogs. Often when we have been out they will fly in low and land in trees nearby cawing at the boys, especially Zephyr. Zephyr also loves crows. He will chase them and they will kind of swoop in on him. If he hears them when he's in the house he runs to the door and wants out. It's so fun to watch all of this. I will have to try and watch the show. Great pictures of Kassa and Ricky.

houndstooth said...

I totally agree! What other dog can get you to completely wait on them hand and foot? They're definitely above us on the food and intelligence chain!

Angela J. said...

I think I saw that show! One of the crows pulled up a rope to get the food on the end of it. They definitely seem to know when garage night is around here too. I'm pretty sure Veil is smarter than me, LOL.

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

We don't have crows in our area so it's a bit of a novelty to see and hear them if we're travelling a bit away from home.

I know Beryl has got me very well trained although it did take her a year to train me to let her sleep on the bed;)