Friday, October 28, 2011

The Bitter Sweet and the Bitter

This past week three dogs that I know of, but have never met, moved on.  For a long while now I have enjoyed reading about Lilac and Drive in their blogs.  They had wonderful full lives, their people loved them dearly and posted some of the warm memories of the many years they shared together.  The other dog that moved on was Darnell.  He was also loved dearly by his person and had found his forever home of just four months.  Unfortunately Darnell escaped the pet sitters yard and after much searching we found he had met an unforgiving end at the near by highway.


I don't claim to know much about the after life, but if there is such a place, I'm sure dogs are there.  And so Darnell if you have gone to such a place,  seek out Lilac and Drive.  They went slightly before you and they will tell you how it was supposed to be.  They will tell you of the years of love and companionship that were planned for you and you can tell them how you were loved even if it was for a short while.  I'm sorry we couldn't find you in time.

5 comments:

Hiking Hounds said...

Oh, so sad. I'm so sorry for you all. I'm sure Darnell is running and having so much fun with the others.

houndstooth said...

It always makes me so darned sad to hear of dogs who passed before their time. We loved Lilac, but you know, she lived a long, full life with us. I don't think there was anything left on her bucket list before she left us. But when they die so young, and so senselessly, it's very hard to find peace with it. Four months with a forever family just isn't long enough by anyone's standards! Sending our sincere condolences to his family, and our thanks to you for the kind words!

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

What a tragedy for Darnell's owners. Four months is just a glimpse of a wonderful life. I am so sorry for him and his owners. It has been a rough few weeks for many people.

jcp said...

@Houndstooth: I don't think anyone could wish for more for a dog than the life Lilac had with you. You set the bar wonderfully high.

houndstooth said...

:)